Saturday, July 24, 2010

Side Effects

Ever since I returned from the hospital on Tuesday afternoon I have been experiencing different side effects and a lot of discomfort. I'm 11 days in to Chemo therapy now.

While I was in the hospital, I noticed a bit of soreness in my throat. It didn't bother me too much and I was able to eat and drink. But as the week progressed, my throat became so sore that every swallow was like swallowing glass. Also, the inside of my mouth, my gums and my tongue developed sores. My tongue became so swollen at times that I could barely talk. Eating and drinking have now become a chore. To help keep my hydrated, I've been getting IV fluids daily either at my home or the U of C.

I still manage to eat and drink. I must. Now, I must learn to manage the pain and eat smaller portions more frequently. I've been eating a lot of my mom's chicken soup. I have a feeling it will become a staple food for me and boy, is it good. Smoothies and ice cream have been very important in my diet and give me some relief. There is one ice cream in particular that I highly recommend; Starbucks Signature Hot Chocolate Ice Cream. Karla gave me her bowl to taste it and never got it back. I couldn't let go. Steak tacos, I've learned, are excruciatingly painful. I'm learning to accept my new challenges and make some changes.

Besides the mouth pain, I have been battling low grade fevers. The chemo has lowered my white blood count and the shot of Neulasta on Tuesday should help to boost my immune system, but I am still experiencing low grade fevers on a daily basis. Sometimes as high as 100.4. Remember, I've been told to go the ER if the fever gets to 100.5.

I have a new medication to help manage the pain. It has given me some relief and I'm able to eat and drink a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment