Wednesday, July 14, 2010

First Day of Induction Chemotherapy

Today, I started with the chemotherapy treatments. It was another long day at the U of C, but with Karla next to me, my IPad and a lot of reading material, the day went very quickly. Here's how the day went. We arrived at 7:15am and checked in. The first thing they do is check my vital signs; blood pressure, weight, and temperature. Then, another nurse attached two different catheters (pig tails) to my new Power Port in my chest. This was completely painless.

Before beginning the chemo, they need to check my blood. This, they will be doing frequently to monitor the white blood cells, hemoglobin and everything else. If my white blood count goes down enough, the doctors may give me a break from the chemotherapy so my body could produce more.

Once my blood work is approved, the chemotherapy can be started. First, they gave me IV fluids with magnesium and potassium for one hour. It's very important to stay well hydrated to protect the kidneys from the toxic medicine. The next medicine that was given as an infusion is called Toxotere; its generic name is Docetaxel. Then, the nurse put on a special protective gown and took out the drug that is considered the most effective, and most toxic, cancer drug of them all; Cisplatin. The Cisplatin IV was also administered as an infusion for one hour through the port. The last IV given to me in the hospital was another IV of fluids, magnesium and potassium for another hour. As this IV was finishing, the nurse came in with an automatic pump about the size of a Walkman. This is to be used over the next five days at home to automatically inject Fluorouracil or 5-FU into my system. The pump is housed in a little black case with a strap that I can carry over my shoulder, wear as a fanny pack or clip to my belt. At least black goes with everything.

Of course, each of the three chemo drugs have their own side effects. I'm not going to bother listing all of them. I figure I'll just mention them as they come. I am taking several medications to try and control the nausea which is a side effect that all the drugs have in common.

For the next two days, I am going to be administering my own IV fluids with the magnesium and potassium. All the supplies and IV fluids have already been delivered. Tomorrow a nurse will come by and teach me the procedure. It gets me out of having to go to the U of C for four more visits.

It's the end of the day. I'm feeling pretty good, but I know this is the beginning of a very long road. I am feeling relieved that I have finally started the treatment. My next appointment is Tuesday, July 20. They will do lab work and give me a shot of Neulasta to help bring up my white blood cell count.

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Sorkin,

    I know this is an old post, but I wanted to go back and read your entire blog. When you said, "at least black goes with everything" I couldn't help but smile because not only did it remind me of your constantly positive attitude, but it reminded me of the kind of things that my dad would say when he was going through his cancer treatment. You are an inspiration to all of us and we are all thinking of you always.

    Sincerely,
    Julia Ring

    ReplyDelete