Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Tuesday at the University of Chicago

On Tuesday I went to the University of Chicago for three different appointments. First, I had to do a swallow study to see how well the muscles in my mouth are recovering from the radiation and to analyze how well I am able to eat various foods. Basically, they give me different foods and liquids and take an x-ray of me swallowing. I was told that I did very well. There are still some areas that I need to improve and I was given a sheet of paper with various mouth exercises that I am to do a couple times a day.

Next, I went to see my ENT doctor. This is the doctor/surgeon that would do the surgery on my neck if it were necessary. While in the examining room, we all viewed my scans from last Friday together. She put the most recent scan next to the scan from July and showed us the difference between the two scans. The changes that she pointed out were remarkable. Not only had my lymph nodes gotten significantly smaller but the shape of my tongue had also become more symetrical. In the earlier scans, there was a subtle abnormality at the base where the tumor was which can only be noticed by a trained eye. At this point the doctor looked at me and said that she predicts that when I have my PET scan in January, it will come back negative for cancer and that surgery will NOT be necessary. That is news that brings tears to my eyes. The treatment was very effective. This being said does not mean that I won't have the operation. The team of doctors will decide together whether or not they feel I should have it. Next week the team will meet to review my scans and discuss the next step.  They won't make any final decision until after the PET scan. Again, the team consists of the ENT, the oncologist and the radiologist.

My last appointment for the day was with my oncologist. This doctor was the one who regulated the chemotherapy and other medications that I needed for pain management. After being examined, we were able to once again see my scans and the dramatic differences from the previous scans. The oncologist confirmed what the ENT said and thinks that I probably will not need the surgery. Even though the lymph node is still visible in the scan, the radiation is still actively working to kill the tissue. Even four weeks after the last treatment, the radiation is still having an effect. This explains why I'm still feeling run down.

I left the University of Chicago feeling pretty optimistic. I also felt very thankful for my doctors, their abilities and knowledge. I'm still not completely out of the woods, but I'm feeling pretty good about the future and my health.

10 comments:

  1. That is fantastic news Jon!! I'm so happy for you! I hope you just continue to feel stronger each day and that the worst is all behind you. Happy Holidays!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Senorkin!!!!!!!!
    You're incredible and GBN misses you, you're so strong and a true fighter, and I can't wait for you to come back to GBN so i can bug you with spanish help and sit at your desk for no reason. You Rock and can't wait for you to talk to me in your 'yoda' voice!

    -Tyler Ayres

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon, I know that I speak for all the Rho friends( that your Mom has in her life) when I say that it sounds as though all our prayers for your complete recovery have finally begun to be answered. We all have read of your arduous journey thru this website and our hearts are lighter hearing the news of today! Wishing you continued good news! Stay strong and continue to get better with each and every day! So much love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jon,

    I was so thrilled to read today's message!! What great news for you and your family. I was just about to call your Mom when I saw this so I'm writing to you first. I'm sure your holidays will be filled with many more smiles! The strength you've shown has been nothing short of incredible. Lots of love to you and wishes for a long and healthy future.
    hugs,
    Andi

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great news Jon! In this case; doing less means more than anything. See you in the hood!
    Happy Holidays!
    Frankie Vee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news Jon! Happy to hear it and hope you continue down this great road to recovery!
    Deirdre Kerrigan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jon,
    Glad to read that your current results and progress look good. Keep staying positive and relax and enjoy the holiday season with your family.
    Dean, Kathy, Chris & Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  8. JUANITO!

    Man I was so psyched to read your update! All the stuff we've been praying about for you is being answered! Words just can't express how thrilled I am at hearing that the surgery doesn't seem likely! Halle flippin lujia!

    I was sorry I didn't get to see you at the holiday party. You were the best gift possible there! Gave people major infartos! (I'll let you translate that for your readers! :-)

    I am growing moss on the dome now--starting to look like a chia pet! But I still pray for you every day when I shave my mug.

    Blessings over the holidays, bud! Can't wait to see you back!

    Un abrazo de oso,

    Jefe Donde

    ReplyDelete
  9. John and Karla, I had no idea when I saw you over the summer, of the trials you would both be enduring for the next several months. John, I have read all your blogs and although it seems that you have had some very trying days and weeks, we are so happy to hear all your endurance has paid off.
    I have to believe this will be a Holiday season to remember full of joy and hope.
    Our prayers are with you! Enjoy the season!
    Love- The Brennan's

    ReplyDelete