Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Baby steps

Another two weeks have past since my last post and unfortunately there isn't much to report. My recovery from the treatments is very slow. I thought by now that I'd be eating and drinking a lot better. The pain in my mouth and throat is not bad, I simply don't have the desire to eat.  I don't get hungry or cravings like I used to. Still, I manage to eat small portions of food and the shakes are helping to maintain my weight, but I've lost a couple more pounds. I continue to reduce the pain medications that I'm taking. I should be completely off the pain medication in another two weeks.

Each week I have my blood counts checked. The levels of my red and white blood cell counts have been fluctuating quite a bit, but now seem to be leveling off.  I have had other symptoms that point to dehydration and so I'm still giving myself 2 liters of fluids by IV each day.  I get worn out quickly and need to sit down and rest. I also have had a low grade fever for the past several days.  It is possible that I caught a bug.

I am trying to not get discouraged by the slow progress.  I was very hopeful that I would be a lot stronger and ready to return to work. But I must continue to be patient and allow my body to heal. 

5 comments:

  1. The way you reach out to the world to share in your progress, healing and communal encouragement is beyond inspiring to me, Jonathan. I can empathize with that feeling of being ready to be back at work, at regular life and regular strength. I am thinking about you and visualizing you getting over your bug and getting back to your 'normal' health and life. Happy holidays to you and your family. Give Linda a big kiss from me, XXallison rubin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another week since your last post I hope you are doing a litlle better, You are very brave man and an example to us.
    We love you very much and things ARE getting better
    Love
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I don't know you personally, I am so grateful for your process to recovery. It's a great thing to see such a strong man around school and I'm so proud you work at my school. Thank you for staying strong. All of your students are so grateful.
    Sincerely,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though your steps may be slower than you want them to be, I'm so glad that there is progress occurring! You are an inspiration to everyone at Glenbrook North and I commend you for everything that you've done. Stay strong, you deserve an amazing life!
    -Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  5. To you, the glass is always half way full. Don't let the slow progress discourage you! You're optimism is a necessity part of healing. Stay positive.
    My Prayers and Regards,
    Jeevs

    ReplyDelete