Friday, December 24, 2010

Recovery has been tough

It has now been seven weeks after my last treatment. My recovery from the radiation and chemotherapy has been slow and at times discouraging. In fact last Saturday, I noticed that the lymph node in my neck, the very same one that was a malignant tumor, swelled up again. In my last posting I mentioned that I thought I had caught a bug because I was feeling even weaker than ever and my appetite wasn't getting any better. For breakfast I would pick at one scrambled egg and nibble on a little toast. The shakes were definitely still a very important part of my diet. On Monday, fortunately, I had an appointment with my radiologist and I was very anxious to tell him about the swollen lymph node.  As he felt the side of my neck his face showed a bit more concern than I was hoping for.  After a thorough examination of my throat and voice box, he thought that perhaps I had a bad infection. After all, there was still quite a bit of inflammation and swelling. So, he prescribed a very strong antibiotic that I am supposed to take four times a day for two weeks.  I left there praying that I had a bad infection. 


The good news is that since I've taken the antibiotic (about 3 days), My appetite and energy level has improved and the swollen lymph node has shrunk again. I can only hope and pray that I won't need the surgery. The doctors, however, consulted with one another and decided to schedule a surgery for me.  After two weeks of the antibiotic I have an appointment with the ENT surgeon and I believe it is then that we will decide whether or not to go through with taking out the lymph node.

I have been told by many cancer survivors that all that I've been experiencing is normal and that in the months to come I'll be fine. I believe that. I believe in my doctors and the treatment that I've gone through and I will do whatever necessary to get through this. Now, all I have to do is wait it out. I feel fortunate that I feel as well as I do for this holiday season and I'm looking forward to spending it with family and friends.

I hope you all enjoy the holidays. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Jon,
    Take care my oldest bestest pal. Talk soon
    We're in Disney w/parents and sister and
    her family. My prayers are with you.

    Sincerely,
    Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's amazing how positive you tried to remain through your difficult journey. What are some things you had to do/think in order to remain positive?

    ReplyDelete