Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The fight is on

The remainder of the week in the hospital was uneventful.  Eating and drinking have become more of a chore. There's not much pleasure left in eating anything sweet. My taste buds are pretty much gone.  Still, I enjoy a nice glass of water once in a while. Most of my diet has become Ensure drinks over ice and Scandi shakes. I must consume calories and proteins.

I mentioned in my previous blog that the radiation machine was out of order on last Monday. Well, it was still unavailable on Tuesday. So, all of us on the 6th floor of the head and neck cancer wing had to make up a treatment of 200 centigrey on.....Saturday! Oh well, time served! It's also good to know that they're not skimping on my dosage of radiation.

I have started to feel some of the effects of the chemo and radiation. Last Thursday and Friday, all I was able to do was lay in bed and sleep. I just didn't have the energy to do anything. I didn't watch movies, read books, write any blogs or emails. I tried my best to eat and drink, but that has really become something I do not look forward to.  I must think of food as medicine. And I've been reminded that if I lose any more weight, I'm going to have to have a feeding tube.

Over the weekend, my mouth sores and throat got worse and I lost my voice. Speaking is now a chore.
Still, I manage the pain so that I'm able to swallow and I find myself popping all sorts of pills throughout the day. I'm following quite a regimen. Besides all of the pills and injections, I'm administering my own daily IVs. Also, I have three different mouth washes and treatments for my mouth that I must do at leat 4 times a day. And, I have special lotions to put on my neck and face, lips, hands and feet that I must apply several times a day. My face has peeled as if I were in the sun and I pretty sure that is what is going on inside my mouth and throat as well.

Today I saw my oncologist. She asked me to describe how I was feeling. Miserable was not the right word. Uncomfortable was more accurate.  She said I looked pretty good for this stage of the game. I must not lose any more weight or else...But overall, I know I'll get through this.  By the way, I removed another fishie.

6 comments:

  1. Jon,
    you will get through this, yes, you will. Survival suits you. Besdides the ensure shakes, any other 'food' that can help you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep on fight'in pal.
    Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  3. keep on going Jon!!! You can beat it!!!! Stay on the positive!!! You are in my thoughts and prayers!!!
    Richard G.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is all so inspiring and you are a great fighter. You have beat it with your hope and optimism.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's amazing how optimistic you are! Keep going strong and stay positive!
    Julia B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such an amazing inspiration. I had you as a teacher a few years ago. I saw no sign of all that you've been through, but you still have that light & optimism that shows through here.
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete