Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Cycle two

Quick update on how I'm feeling.  

I seem to have the pain well managed now.  So I am now eating and drinking enough food throughout the day.  It takes me a long time to each a meal because swallowing is still a chore, there is tightness on my lips and gums and I still have a few sores in my mouth and around the tongue.  But on Sunday morning when I couldn't even take a sip of water,  I realized how much I appreciate every swallow I take now.  I've learned to really appreciate drinking water out of a glass rather than a plastic cup or bottle. To me, the difference in taste is significant. Try it out sometime.

Today (Monday) I had only one radiation treatment as one of their machines was out of service. They gave me the standard dose of 200 centigrey. When I have two radiation treatments, I get 150 centigrey for each of the two.  So having the two treatments at 150 centigrey (or 300) is considered more aggressive treatment. The chemo treatment is the same as cycle one. The only difference is that they gave me extra hydration because of the fever I had last week and I had a blood transfusion of 2 units. I must say that I felt like I had a lot more energy after the transfusion and I was able to speak French fluently! Oo la la.

I've been eating well,  focused on proteins and carbs. I've also stocked up on the Ensure and Scandi shakes which provide me the protein and calories that I'll be needing in the very near future. I've dropped about 5 lbs. this past week. Now I weigh 196. I still can't imagine losing 40-50 lbs. That's thinner than my high school weight. I was always about 180-185.

I feel great that the treatment continues to move forward.  I'm anxious to get through cycle two. Karla and Jessica are coming to visit me tomorrow. Jessica had an appointment in nearby downtown. So they'll stop over after that for a short visit before hurrying back to school in the afternoon. Last time they were here, we played battle ship and 5 card draw.

Well, that's all for now.

Peace

6 comments:

  1. Hey Jon,
    Keep up the good work, and engaging posts.
    Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to log in and see no more fishies! Everyone is missing you around here and I often see many students reading your posts in the lab. Before you know it.. this will all be behind you. :)God Bless YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep it up!!!! It will be over before you know it - You can do this!!!!

    take care
    Richard G

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jon!!,

    Buenos dias... Oh S@#^, that's Espanol... Pardon my French... Ha ha. Any way, Glad to hear treatment is going well. You still weigh a few more pounds than me. I'll have to try & catch up to you. More beers at bowling & on Sunday when the Bears play the Packers. Well I gotta get to work, big Chris is cracking the whip... Thanks for keeping us posted on your treatments. Thoughts & prayers.

    Rick R.

    ReplyDelete
  5. L'Shana Tova, Jon. May the new year bring you health, healing and happiness. I put in a good word for you in temple!! You're doing great...day by day, one day at a time. You're getting through this Jon. Hang in there. Love, Andi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stay strong! We are keeping you in our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete