Saturday, September 11, 2010

Detour

Remember the "honeymoon" week wasn't feeling too much like a honeymoon? Well....

Labor Day weekend was nice.  Some of our closest friends had an amazing Labor Day party on Sunday in one of the forest preserves. It was a great day and everyone had a blast. I was feeling pretty well and eating and drinking normally, but I could tell there were changes happening inside my mouth and throat. On Monday, I woke up with a very sore throat, so I started taking more pain medication.  I also had a low-grade fever throughout the day.  Tuesday was a little worse, so more pain medication. I also had to go to the University of Chicago for an appointment and have my blood work done.  When I got home from the hospital Tuesday evening, I took my temperature. 100.9.  Remember, I'm supposed to go to the ER when my fever is over 100.5. So, I took some Tylenol and the fever went down. Phew!

Unfortunately, that's not the end of the story.  I woke up at 4am the next morning shivering. My temperature was 101.5. After more Tylenol, the fever went away, but never completely. I still had a low-grade fever.  I told Karla that since I responded so well to the Tylenol, we should wait to see if my fever spiked again before making the decision to go in to the hospital. Karla didn't like this idea, but I was determined to stay in bed.  I got up around 7am and Karla had already left for work. The kids started school this week and had to be out the door around 8:45.  It was at that time when I started shivering again.  The chills were so bad, that I was shaking uncontrollably. That's the last image Jessica and Jakob had of me as they walked out the door on Wednesday morning.  I crawled back into bed and tried to warm myself up.  I took my temperature when Karla called to check on me. It was 102. 

I arrived at the Emergency Room around noon. I knew the routine. Hook me up to IV's, draw some blood, pee in a cup, chest x-ray, and answer many questions. My mouth pain was intolerable by now, so they gave me morphine. Low dosages I think.  It helped a little bit, but swallowing was still extremely difficult. A few hours later I was admitted into my own private room with a window view of the wing of the hospital I spent all of last week in. No matter. All I wanted to do was to sleep anyway.

The doctors did not find any signs of infection, though my throat was completely raw.  It was a tough 3 days, but at least I was well cared for and closely monitored. I couldn't eat anything.  I did manage to get down a couple Ensure drinks. Today (Friday), I had a low-grade fever a couple of times, but overall I felt much better. Perhaps my throat and mouth are on the mend or maybe I am managing the pain a little better.

By early afternoon, the doctors were faced with a decision.  Should they send me home knowing my fever may possibly spike again or keep me in the hospital, continue to monitor me until Sunday when I am to be re-admitted for treatment anyway?  I'm glad they allowed me to join the debate and I feel that I presented a very persuasive argument for why they should send me home. After all, Tylenol has always knocked out my fever. I could always go back.  I think I pulled at the doctors' heart strings when I said that I really miss my kids and they miss me. And it was, after all, their first week of school.

Well, here I am at home. It's 2:45am and I can't sleep. That's usually when I write these postings anyway.  My temperature is 100. More Tylenol please.  I was able to drink a shake and I ate cottage cheese and some jello. I believe my throat is getting better, but only time will tell. I'm hoping to eat well tomorrow (today). This next week, I've been told I will have a blood transfusion to help with my blood counts and to make the radiation more effective.

I am very grateful to have a day at home with my family before going back to U of C.  Lastly, did you notice the fish?  Only 8 left.  I must stay on course.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jon - Keep fighting the good fight here....and lots of "pronoia" and prayers coming your way from me - K. Frandson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola senor Sorkin! Just wanted to let you know that we're all praying and wishing you well at GBN. I hope you got 8-9 B's get well card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there Jon - you are in our family prayers every night at mealtime!! Please know we are all supporting you and praying for all the Sorkins! Deirdre Kerrigan

    ReplyDelete