Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The road back to normal

Over the past couple of weeks, I have had some ups and downs.  A couple of weeks ago, I was feeling great. I was able to work out every day, I was eating well and I was very excited and anxious to get back to work and return to a normal life. Perhaps it was partly cabin fever from the winter, but I needed to get out of the house.  On Thursday, January 13, I went to U of Chicago to have the port removed from my chest (another step toward closing this chapter of my life). That was the second week of January. I made arrangements with my doctor to send a note to human resources stating that I can return to work full-time with no restrictions.  I was to go back on the Tuesday after Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, January 18th.  Well, Tuesday morning came. I got out of bed, showered, got dressed and  made breakfast. Suddenly, I felt chilled (a very familiar feeling) and I knew I had better take my temperature.  I did have a cold over the weekend and a minor cough, but thought it was just a minor cold and that it would pass.  Sure enough, I had a fever of 100 and had to call in sick my first day back to school. 

Fortunately, it was finals week and I was going back to school to organize myself for second semester. So, on that Tuesday I went to have my blood tested to see how my white blood count was.  It was fine. Everything was in the normal range and no antibiotic was recommended. As the week went on, my cough worsened and my fever went higher. So on Thursday, I went to an urgent care doctor to listen to my lungs and perhaps get a chest x-ray.  The doctor saw an infection in the x-rays and prescribed an antibiotic.
After calling my own doctor with this news, I was put on a second antibiotic. I've been getting better and better ever since. Thank God for antibiotics.

I finally was able to return to work yesterday, January 24th. I taught one of my three classes. We're on the block schedule and each class is 90 minutes long. It was suggested (recommended) to me that I go back to school on a part-time basis until I feel well enough to take on the full load. The substitute that was hired to cover my classes is doing an outstanding job and is willing to continue until my return. So, this week I am testing the waters to see how I do with 2 of my 5 classes.  My throat is still very sore and talking doesn't exactly help it heal. But I have Lidocaine that I can put on the throat for temporary relief and water helps keep it moist. Last night I had the best night sleep in weeks!  My feeling is that I'll get better and want to take on the full 5 classes, but perhaps after a few more weeks of healing. I am going to see how this week goes and then reassess.

Many people understand that the road to recovery is a long one with many bumps in the road. I have experienced my share of set backs over the past several months so I will continue to write these posts. I appreciate those of you who have taken an interest in my experiences and continue to check my blog. I never realized how many people have had similar experiences to mine or know someone who has. Unfortunately, most have had some experience with this disease and can somehow relate and connect with what I've been going through.  Thank you for taking an interest.

18 comments:

  1. Hi Sr. Sorkin!
    It was so amazing to be able to stop by your desk and say hi. It pretty much made my week to see you and I don't think I realized exactly how much all of us missed you until that moment. I couldn't stop smiling for the rest of the day and I'm just so glad you're back.
    YAYY! :):)
    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Senor sorkin! Don't you worry I will hopefully track you down at school sooner or later! I'm really excited to know that you're back, and I'm hoping your road to recover improves even more than it already has!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mr. Sorkin,

    So happy to hear you are doing better. It was amazing to read your blog and hear your story!
    Hope you are doing so much better now and keep getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Sorkin,
    I am so glad you are feeling so much better and that most of the hard treatment is over! It's great to see you back and heathy! It was a long process you went through the past few years but your strength got you through it! So happy your feeling better and hope you keep getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Sorkin,
    I am glad to hear that you're feeling better. I loved reading your blogs, and learning about the whole process. It's great to hear that you are doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr Sorkin-
    You are such a strong man and have all of GBN's support behind you. I am more than happy you are feeing better and have returned to school. GBN has missed your presence and we are more than satisfied to have you back in the building :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr Sorkin-
    I'm so happy to hear that you are doing better :) I hope you are able to return to GBN soon, we've missed you. Keep staying strong :) GBN loves you

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an unbelievable man, to go through all this and want to take 5 classes right off the bat. Glad you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i cant believe all the things you have gone through and are still going strong! much props and hoping all the best

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are such a strong man to have gone through all of this. I am very glad to hear that you are doing better and staying strong every day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad to hear that you are doing better! I loved reading your blogs. They taught me a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mr. Sorkin,
    I enjoyed reading your blogs. You are a very strong man and I am so thankful that you GBN has a teacher like you. I am friends with your daughter, Jessica and a lot of my friends have you as a teacher. I lost my father to cancer and I know how painful the entire process can be. Thank you for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mr. Sorkin,
    Thank you for posting updates about your treatment process. I'm sure they help many people who go through similar situations, and it was interesting to read about your experience. You're so strong and I'm really glad you are doing much better!
    - GBN Senior

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to hear you're on the road to recovery!! You are so strong! Thank you for sharing this with us I wish you and your family the best!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mr. Sorkin,
    Looking back at having you when I was a freshman I had no idea you went through this. You are so brave and strong. I know how difficult living with cancer can be. My grandmother died of lung cancer. My mom especially had so much to deal with taking her to appointments all the time. I remember how scared I was and how I never fully understood what she was going through. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It has really opened my eyes a lot more to how actually cancer effects someones life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mr. Sorkin,
    It was great to hear your journey that you went through and overcome. Battling cancer is truly an accomplishment that deprives you of physical comfort but also emotional comfort. That's why it's always important to have people around you to support you through the obstacles that you may face. I want to thank you for taking the time to share your life experience. -Barsbold Darmabal

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mr. Sorkin,
    You are so strong and reading your blog was inspiring. Cancer has impacted my family as well, so I know how hard it can be to keep fighting, but you managed to push through and recover. I am so glad you are doing better and hope all continues to go well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mr. Sorkin you are an inspiration to us all and I wish you the best! Thank you for sharing your road to recovery, it takes someone very strong and brave to tell us their struggles through story. I'm happy you're doing better! Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete