Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Positive news!

I just got home from U of C and I am very anxious to share what I've learned.  The CT scan of my neck shows that the lymph node has actually gotten smaller! I just had a bad infection.  So, with that news the next step is to take the PET scan (full body) this Friday.  My surgeon is VERY confident that the PET scan will come back as negative for cancer cells. However, if for some reason the lymph node lights up and comes back positive, I will be scheduled for surgery the following Wednesday (Jan. 12) to take out the lymph node.  If I go through with the surgery and the lymph node is removed they will biopsy it right there to find out whether or not to do a complete neck dissection. As of right now, I am feeling very optimistic and confident that we will get good news on Friday. I'm ready either way.

I still am experiencing quite a bit of pain in my throat.  Today I learned that what I've got going on in there is the equivalent of first degree burns.  No wonder it hurts. 

The surgeon told us that she'll call me with the results sometime Friday late afternoon or early evening. Once I find out, I'll share the news.

7 comments:

  1. Great news Jon. Good luck on Friday.
    Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great News! Laura and I send our love from Arizona. Say thanks to Jess, Jake, and Karla for the birthday wishes -- I know Laura really appreciated it! (and Jessica's voice has changed!)
    Keith & Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't tell you how happy we are to hear this great news. Sorry we haven't been able to hook up lately, but you are always in our thoughts. Keep blogging updates.

    Adam & Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news!!! We are so happy
    This will be a great year
    LoveAna and Alvaro

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very happy that the CT scan showed that your lymph node was getting smaller and that the problem was only an infection! I'm so glad that you're cancer free and still remain a teacher at GBN.

    KW (GBN Student)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could only imagine how exciting and relieving the good news was! A positive attitude definitely makes good things come your way. All the best wishes and positivity as you continue this journey.
    JF (GBN Student)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is wonderful news! I am amazed at your positivity throughout this whole journey. Best of luck to you and your family and hope things continue to go well!
    MW (GBN Student)

    ReplyDelete