Friday, August 6, 2010

Round two of phase one

I've been feeling well. My energy level and appetite are almost completely normal. The only time I was reminded of my "situation" was when I looked in the mirror. My hair loss seems to have slowed down, but it's still coming out. It's very thin, but with a hat on, people say it looks like a very short hair cut. 

This past Tuesday, August 3rd, I began a new regimen of infusions. I was given two different chemo drugs: Carboplatin and Taxol. Though the side effects of these drugs are very similar to those of the drugs I had been given in round one, they say I will tolerate them much better.  Only time will tell. As of today (Friday), I have only experienced some fatigue and some joint pain, but it has only been three days. The last time I had an infusion, it was after the 5th day when I began experiencing all of the side effects.

I am now in my fourth week of treatment and still in phase one called induction chemotherapy.  This phase will last for four more weeks. Every Tuesday, I'll be going to the U of C for blood tests and infusions of Taxol.  On Sunday, August 29, I'll begin phase two when I stay in the hospital for five nights and receive chemo and radiation concurrently. Phase two will last for ten weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Jon,
    It is great to have this blog to stay connected. I am reminded of what a positive person you are and always have been as long as I've known you. I do believe this will help you track a journey that will lead to a successful outcome. Stay strong and You and your lovely family will stay in my prayers.
    Arnold

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jon,

    Just got the email from Pat. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I know you can beat this. I was just talking about you with my mom and aunt because we were up in the Eagle River area by the camp. Stay strong.

    Pat McGuigan

    ReplyDelete