Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Beginning of Cycle 5

I have been accomplishing my goal of eating. I still do not have a feeding tube and have only lost one pound since last week. While I was home last week, Karla and I did a little shopping for new clothes. It's neat to see that I'm wearing the same waist size I did in high school!  I'm not feeling too thin. I feel like it's a good weight for me. Now I have to continue to maintain it. My mouth and throat are still very sore. I am reminded every time I eat. I have found creative ways to numb the pain during meal times so that I can get the food in, but it's still a chore and quite painful.  I've been told that this battle will continue for several weeks after my treatment. The difference will be that I will no longer be receiving the chemo and radiation and can expect to see signs of recovery.

Last week, during my week off from the hospital, something else very unusual and different occurred. I didn't have to come into the emergency room for an overnight visit! I did have a few low-grade fevers, but managed to somehow stay below the 100.5 degree warning level.  Being able to stay at home for the ENTIRE week was a gift and I really cherished it.

As you can tell by my last few postings, my energy level has been very low. As I've been told by many people, I must listen to my body.  Do what I can to be active, but rest when I feel like resting. I did. I slept away a few more days last week and got caught up on several episodes of Gunsmoke and Bonanza. Unfortunately, I haven't been up to do much writing or reading. And I haven't been playing the guitar as enthusiastically as I had been early on in the treatments.  I'm certain that the pain medication is contributing to my zombie-like tendencies (Halloween idea). My voice comes and goes. The mucusitis has taken its toll on my vocal chords. It's just easier to NOT talk.

So now I am finally in my last cycle of treatment. Cycle 5. I am feeling upbeat and positive knowing this is my last week of treatments. This entire week kind of feels like a Friday. You wake up on a Friday knowing that you'll put in your day and then you'll have time off on the weekend.  And I think cycle 4 felt like a Thursday. You know when you wake up on a Thursday and you hope for a minute it's Friday, but it's really only Thursday. It's kind of a let down, but you manage to get up and get on with your day. I am really psyched that this is the last of the treatments. Karla and the kids too. They are just as upbeat and positive that this is the last of the hospitalization. So far, it is going well.  It is now Tuesday morning and I just got back from my 6am radiation treatment. My next one is at 12:30 today.  I have now completed 44 of 50 radiation treatments. Twice a day for 5 weeks. It's hard to believe I've come this far. It's already the end of October. The World Series is beginning, the Bears are in the middle of their season, the first quarter of school is almost over, Halloween is next Sunday, hockey season has begun. There are so many things to look forward to. I wish I can make the time go faster this week, but for now, I must just chill and take things as they come. Put in my time.

Lastly, I want to acknowledge all of the emails, cards and other gestures by everyone that offer support, love and encouragement to me and my family during these difficult times.  It is so nice to hear from everyone. I have had some difficult days, as you can imagine, and your positive and encouraging comments have really helped me to keep my focus optimistic and my spirit up.  So thank you again for you prayers, thoughts, cards and gestures. We really feel blessed by the amount of support and love that has been given and offered to us. 

6 comments:

  1. Though I’ve never had you as a teacher, I can read the emotion in everything you write. I speak for all Glenbrook North students when I say you are an inspiration to us all. Keep your positive thoughts through this journey, hope is never lost. My prayers stay with you and your family.

    Gazaleh Shafie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing inspiration to us All. Keep up the fight.....it's working. Our thoughts and prayers are always with you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Hannah, I am a GBN student and i have read your blog daily. You are my hero, and i cannot imagine how strong you are. You have inspired me and many others. Keep fighting! “The soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war.” You are an amazing soldier and have inspired me.

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Senor Sorkin. What else can I say other than you are truely a great soldier(as said above) to all. I cannot even imagine what you have been going through these past few months but I can tell in your writing how strong and positive you and your family have been. You were my spanish teacher the past two years and I cannot express how much I miss hearing you say my name in the very funny way that you do every other day. I am thinking about that now and it makes me smile! I find it hard for me to put words together to even begin to tell you how much of an inspiration you have been to me, the whole student and staff body at GBN, and everyone else out there who is always thinking about you. You used to tell me to keep trying and never give up when I was stuggling with something in spanish. So now I am passing those words of wisdom onto you. Keep trying and never give up. "Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it." You helped me climb higher and higher in spanish. Everyone is here to support you to help you climb higher and higher in this journey. I have been reading your blog almost everyday and you have inspired me tremendously. I'm glad that you are seeing some signs of recovery and hope you continue to see those down the road. You have such a great heart and mind and I know you can fight this until the very end. My thoughts and prayers are always with you and your family. I hope to see you back at school here soon!

    Seguir luchando y nunca te rindas.

    Sincerly,
    Maddie Pekala

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have an amazing spirit and write beautifully. You have given everyone hope and inspiration. I have kept up with your blog and your story is truely remarkable. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers and I know you will win this battle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola Senor Sorkin!
    My name is Julie, and I'm a junior at GBN. I'm sorry to say that I've never had you as a Spanish teacher. However, had I been blessed with the opportunity, there is no doubt in my mind that I'd have an incredible experience in your class. From reading your blog, it is easy to see that you are a courageous, optimistic, strong, and hopeful person. Your exemplary attitude and outlook has been such an inspiration to not only me, but to the entire GBN family. Please know that you're always in our thoughts and prayers, and we are ALL behind you, rooting you on! You've been a great inspiration by showing me that on the hardest days, a little bit of optimism can make a big difference. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete